Mentioned coconut fruit, all of us who think about coconut milk or fresh water as a wonderful drink from one of the tropical fruits for the summer time. More than that coconut oil is interested for health by its benefit. The story of coconut is not stopped here, there are the great recipes from this fruit like coconut meat jam as an example.
Truly there are different ways to make coconut meat jam. The copra (dried meat) is used or the flesh of this young fruit to be used. Each way gives each experience when enjoying this likable sweet taste from the jam. And the fat from coconut fruit is always conserved according to different level from the jam. In the 19th century, copra was found out as an edible fat in Europe. This source was well known in The US in the early 20th century.
Till this time, copra is the great source for healthy oil that serves health care and beauty care not only from Europe or The US but over the world. Each year, millions of copra from Philippines, Malaysia, the Pacific Islands, Mozambique, etc are exported to the world. The number gives the evident related to strong consumption of this product.
Turn back to our tiny topic in our warm kitchen. We really do not use coconut oil all the time. The rich coconut for life as a good gift and we should not ignore. So in the case you do not use coconut oil, just sometimes enjoy fresh water from this fruit, preparing the coconut meat jam may inspire us in some ways sometimes. And to do this recipes, you may see how to make it as below:
Prepare: 30 minutes
Waiting time to absorb: 4 hours
Cooking time: 40 minutes to an hour
- 1 dried coconut ( about 500 g of meat, not old nor young)
- 250 g white sugar
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1/3 tsp vanilla powder
- Separate the cover and meat of coconut fruit. To do this, you may break down the coconut fruit in half. Bake them for 10-15 minutes. Take them out of the oven and wait for them to be cool. Use a knife to remove the hard cover and peel the brown layer.
- Wash the coconut meat and let them to be dry.
- Cut the coconut meat into thin and long pieces.
- Mix well the coconut meat with sugar and salt. Wait for 4 hours or till the time the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the coconut meat into a pot and cook with medium heat for boiling. Keep your eyes into the pot till the time the water from the pot is drying up in half.
- Lower the heat and cook the coconut meat till the time the coconut meat to be dried. Stir well while cooking.
- The coconut meat is dried, turn off the stove, add vanilla powder and continue stirring till the pot to be cool. Take the coconut meat jam out.
- You may keep the jam by zip pocket or glass jar for 1 week at least.
Use the jam as dessert or snack. It is great if you have a tea when enjoying this jam.