Pepper types today are very rich. The variety of pepper is based on different regions with characteristic land and climate as well as plant breeding. Pepper types first of all are determined two main groups called the same name “pepper” but very different together. They are pepper and chili pepper. Pepper is called by science name as Piper nigrum and chili pepper has its science name Capsicum.
1. Piper nigrum
Piper nigrum or pepper is considered the most popular spice today in the world. This pepper does not well grow in the cold or wet soil. It develops strongly in the well drained and fertile soil with moisture. Base on the collection period of fruit of piper nigrum and then the processing, pepper is arranged in different types such as black pepper, white pepper, green pepper and red pepper.
- Black pepper: type of peppers which are collected when they are unripe and then be dried.
- White pepper: type of peppers which are collected when they are ripe. The ripe peppers’ outer are removed and the seeds are dried.
- Green pepper: type of peppers which are harvested when they are unripe and preserved in the brine or vinegar to keep them green.
- Red pepper: type of peppers which are harvested when they are ripe and preserved in the brine or vinegar to keep their outer color.
2. Chili pepper
Chili pepper has its science name that called Capsicum. There are different species from which divided into different types. It can be arranged in common with groups like bell pepper, sweet pepper and hot pepper.
- Bell pepper: Bell pepper belongs to the Capsicum annuum specie mainly. It is arranged in the group of less pungent and sweet peppers. This pepper has shape as a bell and there are different colors to make it to become special. Bell pepper is used in cooking and food decoration. In some cases bell pepper are used as decorative plant. It is said that there are some bell pepper types not for eating. They are used as decorative plants only.
- Sweet pepper: Sweet pepper belongs to Capsicum annuum specie. It is sweet, less pungent and even not spicy. This type is rich of vitamin. Sweet pepper is used in cooking and food decoration.
- Hot pepper: Hot pepper is spicy group with different levels. Hot peppers belong to different species. They have different shapes and sizes. There are three main colors of hot peppers such as green, red and yellow. Hot peppers are used as a spice for dishes with fresh or dried forms.