Potatoes are so widely used in many recipes both for health and favorite in cooking. Especially concerning to bread types, it must be some types of bread combined with potatoes as the wonderful element.
In the recipe of potato buns, mashed potatoes or potato crushed potatoes used is possible. If you use the mash, it gives the softness. And in the case you use the crushed potatoes, you may meet some potato pieces with the starch and flavor of fresh potato remained.
Potato bread in general and the potato buns in particular are high valued about nutrition contained compared with normal bread like white bread made from whole refined wheat flour. Potatoes is combined in the bread to give the advantages such as to rich the flavor, to make the texture of bread to be wonderful or add more fiber, vitamins and minerals. The vitamin contained in the bread buns is such as vitamin B6. It is also give a mount of calcium, potassium and folate. Beside the fiber amount contained in potato buns is twice to three times compared with white bread.
Some home chefs consider that potato which is the factor makes the bread to be tender. Each slice of potato bread or potato bun seems to be softer than some bread even if there no egg added in. So the potato buns are loved by different reasons and it is easy to understand why the recipes related to them are concerned strongly.
Prepared time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Bake time: 30 – 35 minutes
Serves: 15 buns
- 600 g of whole wheat flour
- 300 g of boiled potatoes or baked
- 50 g of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of dry instant yeast
- 350 ml of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 50 g of butter
- Clean the potatoes, peel them and then bake or boil.
- Grind the cooked potatoes.
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Keep 100 g of flour to use when we knead the dough.
- Mix the potato into the dry mixture.
- Add the vegetable oil into the mixture, mix them.
- Add the warm water and knead the dough well. The time for kneading is about 15 minutes.
- Cover the dough by a clean towel or plastic wrapper. Put the bowl of dough in a warm place for 45 minutes. The dough rises up and it looks double in size.
- Take the dough out of the bowl, devide it into 12 – 15 pieces, shape them and let them in rest for 5-10 minutes. Then, bake them for 30-35 minutes at 200 C degree. It depends on your oven.
- The potato buns are done, take them out off the oven, apply the butter to their surface. Wait for 1-2 minutes, the potato buns are ready to serve.