Seafood market contains different stories. There is more and more seafood offered and consumed. And there are different types of seafood that we maybe impossible for counting. We could only list the types with similar specification them into groups. For each group, there will be some types that eaten popularly.
Groups of seafood
Seafood market popularly offers the different seafood groups such as fish group with over 10 types of fishes in which there are pelagic fish group, demersal fish group, diadromous fish group and freshwater fish group.
The seafood market also supplies the aquatic mollusk group with the abundant type included popular eaten names such as oyster, scallop, mussel, cockle etc. They belong to the bivalves. And there are gastropod or sea nails group with abalone, whelk, periwinkle and cephalopod group with some popular cephalopods such as octopus, squid, cuttlefish etc.
Beside you can find in the seafood market the crustacean group with shrimp, crab, lobster and krill or aquatic plants and microphytes group such as seaweed and microphyte; and other group aquatic animals
And in this article, we mentioned some points related to fish group and aquatic mollusk group.
Related to fish
They are aquatic creatures which are vertebrate and breathe by gills. Their heads were protected by bone or cartilage skull. They have no limbs and digits. They are included fish live in the marine, the freshwater and the brackish water.
We could list some groups of fish with popular types as below:
- Pelagic fish: includes fishes live near the surface of the marine only. They could be split into two groups: predator fish (the large fishes like shark, tuna, marlin, swordfish, mackerel, salmon…) and forage fish (the smaller fishes like herring, sardines, sprats, anchovies, menhaden…). Plankton is forage fish food source and, this smaller fish group is predator fish food source.
- Demersal fish: includes fishes live on or near the seabed as cod, flat-fish, grouper, or stingaree…They are more inactive compared with the upper living group. Crustacean is their food source.
- Diadromous fish: fishes like salmon, shad, eel, lamprey…in this group could live in the line of sea and fresh water. They could also move from fresh water to salt water for reproducing. The most famous fish with this special trip must be salmon.
- Freshwater fish: includes wild fish and farmed fish which live in freshwater. Nowadays, the farmed fish is more popular than the wild. They include carp, tilapia, catfish, trout….
Related to Aquatic Mollusk
They are creatures with soft bodies. They are invertebrate and could be covered by shells or not, but they have similar developed progress.
The aquatic mollusk could be listed as three main groups:
- Bivalves: include the creatures which are protected by two shells like oyster, scallop, mussel, and cockle…The shells will be opened when they need to be feed and closed to avoid the predation from other creatures. The bivalves could live or hide in the seabed sand, or on the sea floor, or some types could stick to the rocks. Some types like scallop could also swim.
- Gastropod or sea nails: are creatures with a single shell on their back, such as abalone, conch, limpets, whelk, periwinkle…Gastropod crawl with their belly, the name gastropod is from this reason, it means belly-foot or stomach-foot. This “foot” is actually the muscle at the belly position that helps gastropod to move.
- Cephalopod: are opposite with the gastropod. The creatures in cephalopod group have no shell, and their limbs which help them to move are considered as their head-feet. They also have a special ability that is to squirt ink in when they need to be fed or hidden from other marine animals. Some popular cephalopods are octopus, squid, cuttlefish…They are widely eaten in many areas, but among those, cuttlefish is less popular than others.
For other group, please go to part 2 of seafood type.